We are looking to add an Estimator/Project Manager to our team of construction professionals. Estimating includes actively seeking commercial construction projects to bid, performing quantity take-offs derived from a thorough understanding of a project's plans and specifications, assembly of bid items into a final bid to be submitted, along with the procurement of all bid documents. Project Management includes coordination and communication while efficiently working with employees, owners and/or general contractors towards the safe and timely completion of projects through scheduling, material procurement, etc.
Skills essential to success in this position include:
- No less than two years of recent experience in a similar general contractor environment, preferably working directly in estimating and/or project management of earthwork and utility projects;
- Understanding of the bid process;
- Strong written, verbal, and analytical skills;
- Driven, reliable, self-managed individual with excessive attention to detail.
- The ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment;
Additional skills and abilities that would prove beneficial include:
- Strong computer skills; proficient with applications such as Outlook, Excel, Adobe/Bluebeam;
- Previous earthwork/utility field experience preferred;
- Solid understanding of excavation and utility installation processes including the types of equipment and materials used to complete this scope of work;
- Experience reading construction plans and specifications and ability to accurately build, visualize and anticipate a project from start to finish on paper based off of information given;
- An understanding of productivity issues and apply standard unit man and equipment hours to fit the work being bid;
- An understanding of the Low Bid process used within the state of Minnesota and beyond;
- Ability to complete a thorough vendor solicitation process, analyze and select quality suppliers and subcontractors to ensure a successful bid and eventually a successful project;
- Knowledge and understanding of soil type, compaction variables, geotechnical data, elevations and how these items can affect a project;
- An understanding of earthwork cut and fill volumes and site work balancing;
- Ability to focus on generating reliable estimates based on historical costs and information;
- An understanding of electronic takeoffs for earthwork volumes and quantities;
- Ability to maintain the highest standards of professionalism, fairness and ethical behavior when representing Peterson Companies, Inc. to owners, engineers, vendors or competitors.
Peterson Companies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.